About The Society
For over 40 years, The Medical Legal Society of British Columbia has been providing a forum whereby lawyers and doctors and other health care professionals meet together approximately six times per year for networking and educational purposes.The Society’s membership comprises physicians, lawyers and health professionals who are directly involved with medical legal matters.
The Medical Legal Society of B.C. is a society focused on:
- The enhancement of working relationships between health professionals and lawyers.
- The provision of regular presentations on topics of interest to the two professions.
- Regular meetings and dinners are held before the presentations so as to provide networking opportunities and enhance collegiality.
What The Society Offers
- The presentations usually qualify for Continuing Legal Education Credits for lawyers and physicians.
- Our dinners and meetings provide an excellent opportunity for socialization with fellow professionals.
The Directors of the Society recognize the importance of maintaining a close liaison, both professionally and socially, among members of these professional groups. From time to time members will have dealings with each other on various files and find the Society a useful resource concerning medical evidence, the preparation of expert reports and legal and ethical matters.
Meetings of the Society are typically held on Thursday evenings beginning at 6 pm and usually take place at The Terminal City Club or the Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club. Meetings feature noted speakers, lively debates and panel discussions, following either an informal gathering for cocktails or a dinner.
Past topics have included:
- A Physician’s Legal & Ethical Obligations Arising from Treating a Patient Involved in Personal Injury Litigation – Panel Discussion, William Clark, Dr. Derryck Smith and Dr. Jack Burak
- Pain Management Resources in BC: Current Services and Future Directions – Guest Speaker, Dr. Brenda Lau
- Health Care Costs Recovery Act – Guest Speakers, Barbara Carmichael and Nevin Fishman
- Autism Across the Life Span – Guest Speakers, Dr. Anthony Bailey and David Bell
- Traumatic Brain Injury and ADHD – Guest Speakers, Dr. Derryck Smith and Dr. Michael Joschko
- The Rule of Law in the Canadian Justice System – Guest Speaker The Honourable Madam Justice Risa Levine
- Avoiding the Crosshairs: Tips on How to Avoid Being Sued or Complained About – Guest Speaker, Carmel Wiseman
- The Treating Physician as an Expert Witness – Panel Discussion – Dr. Ailive McNestry, Dr. Bradley Fritz and Mr. Alan Ross
- Cost of Care: Developments in the Law with Practical Tips for Lawyers & Physicians – Guest Speakers, Mike Slater, Q.C. and Dennis Quinlan